Sunday, January 17, 2010

El Vez, Philadelphia, PA - March, 2009


















Underdog and I stumbled upon El Vez on our recent weekend in Philly, and since I've yet to meet a Stephen Starr restaurant I didn't love, we ambled in. I loved the brightly colored, trendy ambiance...but not quite as much as a I loved the lovely, fresh ingredients and the contemporary way they were put together. Favorites were the Jalepeno Blue Cornbread with Smoked Maple Butter, The truffled wild mushrooms with Chihuahua cheese and Huitlacoche served with flour tortillas (amazing!)...and while our fried Mahi Mahi Tacos and Chipotle Chicken Tacos were both wonderful, I found total nirvana in my side dish of Creamy Poblano Corn Rice. Don't expect the monstrous, cheese-laden portions you find in typical Mexican chain restaurants...this food is smaller, slicker (and better), but more than adequate. Margaritas were delicious, but smaller than I like ;) ... and I would've also liked to see a greater selection of wines by the glass. Still, though...it's all about the food, and the food delivered. Not inexpensive, but not insane either by "big city" price standards. Would definitely return.

Chihuahua Cheese and Huitlacoche (who knew Chihuahuas were such and excellent source of cheese?):
















Fried Mahi Mahi Tacos...fresh tasting and tres delish.
















Chipotle Chicken Tacos and Creamy Poblano Corn Rice (I could probably subsist forever on Creamy Poblano Corn Rice alone):


















http://www.elvezrestaurant.com/

El Vez on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment