Sunday, November 28, 2010

Blue Moon Fish Co., Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, FL

Oh, my...I do so love this place.  It has been one of my Florida favorites since I lived in Lauderdale-By-The-Sea back in the late '90s.  First of all, it's an absolutely stunning restaurant...starched linens, etched glass, gleaming art deco-style fixtures and a wonderful view of the intracoastal waterway (with an exquisite outdoor waterfront dining area where you can sit and watch the yachts go by while you dine).  Service is always excellent, although it can sometimes be a bit slow...however, that only adds additional relish to a leisurely dining experience in a gorgeous environment, with ample time allowed for the creation of fresh, individually prepared dishes that are always beautifully plated.

Anytime I go to southeast Florida, I always have to stop in (at least for lunch), so UD and I made a point of visiting when we went to Miami over Thanksgiving Day weekend.  Blue Moon was as beautiful as ever and it's nice to know some things never change...especially when they are as fine as this. 

Blue Moon is not inexpensive, but is also not ridiculously pricey for what it is.  They do, however, offer a two-for-one lunch special (which has been running for years now) that I consider to be the deal of the century.  For every item you purchase (be it appetizer, entree or dessert), you get another menu item from the same category free.  And there's no limit!  The spousal unit and I purchased two appetizers, two items from the soup and salad menu, and two desserts...all at buy-one-get-one-free prices.  That's a good way to win my devotion...especially when the food is so amazing.

First out was some delicious, freshly-baked bread with a fantastically caramelized whole bulb of sweet, roasted garlic for spreading...something you just don't find served alongside your restaurant bread often enough. 
















Starter time!  UD selected House Cured Salmon Gravlax with Toasted Ciabatta, Onions, Tomatoes and Capers.  It was beautiful, fresh-tasting and generously served.
















The Gravlax plate was $14, which made our second appetizer (crispy fried New Orleans Firecracker Oysters with Apple Vinaigrette and Cajun Remoulade)...ummm, FREE!  Love it!  And they were delightful, to boot.
For lunch, I have never successfully been able to veer from what is thus far my favorite salad on the planet...the Blackened Langostinos and Baby Spinach Salad with Carmelized Onions, Spicy Pecan Goat Cheese Fritters and Walnut Oil Vinaigrette.  It's really unforgettable and I'm so glad it's remained on the menu for so many years.  If I ever do anything insane like throw a hatchet at an ex-husband (just as an example, of course) and wind up on death row, this will be one of my "Last Meal" menu requests.  
Dogboy's free item from the soup and salad menu was a large bowl of "The Big Easy" Louisiana Seafood Gumbo with Shrimp, Crab, Crawfish, Andouille Sausage and Okra.  He thought it was very good (if not the best he's ever had)...proclaiming its lack of heat (from a seasoning standpoint) to be the only mild disappointment.
Although we were pretty full at this point, we were not about to lose money by walking away from half-priced desserts, so we unbuttoned our pants and forged ahead. UD loves Creme Brulee and must always have it, so he chose the "Crunchy Top" Jamaican Creme Brulee with Vanilla Bean and Coconut Rum, which was about as perfect in taste and consistency (as well as being as visually tantalizing) as they come.







Having put myself "on haitus" from the annoyance of calorie counting for the Thanksgiving Day weekend (Monday will bring 600-calorie-per-day hell, for sure), I dove headlong into the decadence that is Icky Sticky Caramel Tarte with Chunky Monkey Ice Cream.  OM#$%G.  That's all I have to say on the subject.  *thud*
I didn't really like mine.  Can I have some of yours? 
Oh, sure...reach over and help yourself, darling.  As long as you don't mind pulling back a bloody stump.

This was a really beautiful 2-hour lunch.  It wound up costing about $115 with gratuity, but that was with five $10 glasses of wine and we really couldn't eat any dinner after that afternoon repast.  Blue Moon, I wish you were closer so I could visit you more than once in a blue moon!

Blue Moon Fish Co. on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment