Friday, January 1, 2010

Evan's American Gourmet Cafe, Lake Tahoe, CA - February 2007


Our dinner at Evan's was, quite frankly, one of the top 10 best dinners we've ever had. The restaurant is housed in a small cottage, and has 10-12 tables. The ambiance is elegant but not stuffy, and very inviting. We were greeted warmly when we arrived, and treated like eagerly anticipated guests throughout the meal. Wait staff was friendly, knowledgeable and professional. Our meal was the absolute bomb! We were started off with an amusee of a small crock of apple liver pate (the best pate I've ever had), and crostini. We wanted to try the soup of the day, which was a creamy three-mushroom soup, and ordered one bowl to share. When the soup arrived, they had already very considerately separated the order into two individual bowls for us...a very nice (and unasked for) touch.

Following the soup, I had a fabulous and wonderfully unique salad of spinach, duck sausage, pancetta, shaved asagio cheese and pine nuts with a balsamic vinagrette dressing, which may have been the most wonderful salad I've ever put in my mouth. My husband had the pepper-seared carpaccio, which was to die for. For dinner, I had a most fabulous duck with cherry sauce, and he had rack of lamb...both perfect. The crowning glory was my dessert of banana bread pudding brulee...Oh. My. Gawd. I could go on and on, but adjectives fail me.

I just can't say enough good things about our dining experience at Evan's. The wine list was not huge, but had a lot of depth and excellent selections with a very reasonable markup. Our dinner, with two bottles of wine and a glass of champagne each, ran $195. We paid $600 for dinner at the French Laundry three months ago, and (in my opinion) the food was nowhere near as delicious (nor was the experience as warm and pleasant) as what we had at Evan's. Simply EVERYTHING was top notch. Do not miss this gem for fine dining in South Lake Tahoe!
















www.evanstahoe.com

No comments:

Post a Comment