Sunday, May 16, 2010

Acropolis Greek Taverna, Riverview, FL

This is just a mini-entry to give homage to what I think are some of the best salads in Tampa Bay.  Acropolis Greek Taverna has locations in Clearwater, New Tampa, Ybor City, and Riverview (where we snarfed out salads this afternoon following Iron Man 2).  These huge, protein-laden monsters go for $10 apiece and are served with warm and wonderful, herb-encrusted bread with feta cheese spread.  Oh, and see my lovely margarita there?  They are 2-for-1 from 3:00 to 7:00 every evening.  It pays to be an "early bird".  
It's actually embarrassing what creatures of habit UD and I are when we visit Acropolis (no menu needed).  I can never veer from the Karpathos Chicken Salad (mixed greens with grilled chicken, red peppers, sundried tomatoes, cucumber slices, toasted pine nuts, feta cheese crumbles and dolmades (which they forgot to put on my salad but brought fairly quickly after I beyotched). Extra Greek dressing on the side, please and thank you! 
Jimbo (without fail) orders the Acropolis Salad which is similar in composition as far as the green stuff, but lacks the pine nuts and dolmades.  Instead, his is loaded up with potato salad, gyro meat, a huge slab of feta, pita triangles and a side of tzatziki (I know it's hard to believe, but there is actually a huge Greek salad underneath that gyro platter).  SO freaking good.  If you've never had a Greek salad "Florida style" (with a "surprise" potato salad center), you really haven't lived.  
Two margaritas, two Mich Ultras, awesome bread and two humongous salads:  $32.  What a deal...and I didn't have to cook!  


Acropolis Greek Taverna on Urbanspoon


My blog entries contain the unmitigated, and sometimes unforgiving, dining truths and perceptions I experience as an ordinary restaurant patron. Every meal I post about has been fully paid for by one of the participating members of my personal dining party. I do not engage in the gratis blogger freebie dining events I'm constantly invited to attend and never will. If I ooze font-like love for a restaurant in my blog, it's because they totally earned it…not because they gave me free food or knew I was going to share the experience on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment