Saturday, June 1, 2013

Amada, Philadelphia, PA

Last weekend's trip to Philly afforded me the opportunity to check yet another Iron Chef resto off of my wishlist. Jose Garces' Amada, located just a few blocks from the historic district, is rustically charming inside and offers al fresco dining on the sidewalk.  UD and I met up with my most precious former coworker, Young Grasshopper, and her significant other, Dr. A (who received the highly coveted Sweet Polly Stamp of Approval, btw), for brunch on a 60-something degree Sunday over Memorial Day weekend. The unexpectedly cool temps were uber-refreshing, so we settled into one of the outdoor tables.  I forgot my camera and have only phone pics to offer, so take the quality with a grain of salt.

UD and I nursed a pitcher of Iron Chef Garces' Sangria Temporada (Crisp White Wine, Peach, Lemongrass and Ginger Brandy) while we waited for the young'uns to join us.  Everyone agreed that it was amazing and we all enjoyed another pitcher or two over the course of our brunch.
















The gang's all here...let's get to ordering (sorry you had to be the photographer, UD...but let the minutes reflect that you were, indeed, in attendance).














For $16, Charcuterie Mixto included cured pork in every possible Spanish variation...Chorizo Pamplona, Chorizo Blanco, Salchichon, Lomo Embuchado and Serrano Ham. Pretty much just like being back in Barcelona.  Pig lovers unite!















Mixto of Three Cheeses and their accoutrements were off the chain.  We selected Aged Manchego with Truffled Lavender Honey, Garrotxa with Garlic Dulce de Leche (and trust me, you haven't lived until you've tried Garlic Dulce de Leche...wow!), and Cana de Cabra with Fig and Cherry Marmalade. Thank gawd there was a doctor in the house because I was feeling a bit light-headed after just a few nibbles.  Foodgasmic.





















Dr. A, having dined at Amada before, highly recommended the Setas (grilled wild mushrooms).  They were so delicious, perfectly seasoned and hearty that we put in a second order. There wuz clearly some remarkable fungus among us.















Dogboy ordered Amada's Omelet with Serrano Ham, Manchego Cheese and Potato Hash.  Could this possibly disappoint?  Of course not.
















YG and I both zeroed in on the tender Serrano Biscuits topped with House-Made Chorizo and smothered in White Gravy.  My Southern Baptist Tennessee heart could never have dreamed such a Satanic version of Mom's sausage gravy and biscuits existed.  Pile into the handbasket, everyone.
















Dr. A ordered tender morsels of fresh, Spanish Sea Bass (which he attested to be the stuff dreams are made of)...













...along with an order of ethereally cloud-like plateful of Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Seasoned Berries and Maple Syrup.  This is your "last meal" kinda menu offering.













Who wants dessert?  My rec is Albondigas...tender lamb meatballs topped with shaved Manchego.













What else can I say?  Each morsel was as amazing as I expected it to be. A must-do when in Philadelphia. Unforgettable.

http://www.amadarestaurant.com/index.html

Amada on Urbanspoon

My blog entries contain the unmitigated, and sometimes unforgiving, dining truths and perceptions I experience as an ordinary restaurant patron. Every meal I post about has been fully paid for by one of the participating members of my personal dining party. I do not engage in the gratis blogger freebie dining events I'm constantly invited to attend and never will. If I ooze font-like love for a restaurant in my blog, it's because they totally earned it…not because they gave me free food or knew I was going to share the experience on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment