Sunday, July 7, 2013

Los Mexicanos, Indian Rocks Beach, FL

When both Keegan's and Slyce Pizza Bar (two of my and UD's casual faves for an inexpensive beach meal) had a wait list on the Wednesday before Independence Day, we started looking for options...mostly because one of us was feeling particularly "beachy" and impatient after fighting Fourth of July weekend traffic for two solid hours during an after-work commute from east Hillsborough county.  While Mexican food hadn't been in the forefront of my mind, Los Mexicanos appeared almost mirage-like after we (okay, I) refused to queue up.  And there was no. line.  Ding! Ding! Ding!

The interior was clean and pleasant.  We were seated immediately and received knowledgeable and courteous service at this outpost of three family owned and run Los Mexicanos locations in Pinellas county (St. Pete Beach, Indian Rocks Beach and Tarpon Springs).  Good salsa and chips were slid onto the table almost as soon as our arses hit the Naugahyde and 2-for-1 margaritas were dispensed posthaste.  I was beginning to breathe again.

Dr. Dawg prepares to medicate me:




















Underdog was feeling dainty on this particular evening and opted for a $4.95 Chile Poblano stuffed with beef and cheese from the a la carte menu and a $7.00 troth bowl of Chicken Tortilla Soup.  Both were deemed "muy auténtico" by my former Mexico City resident.















I found myself particularly enamored of the soup, which contained the meat of what must've been at least 1/4 of a large chicken.  The broth had an exceptionally rich poultry flavor with a mean after-kick of heat.  I think someone's been making fresh chicken stock.















Shrimp Chimichangas were presented hot, crispy, slathered in cheese sauce and stuffed to maximum capacity with large, grilled shrimp.  Good guac and rice rounded out this dish and I appreciated the absence of those ubiquitous canned refried beans (which always remind me a little of dog barf) that most Mexican places can't seem to leave off the plate.















The Sopapilla with Ice Cream lent the perfect sweet finish to our meal.  This cinnamon-y, crispy and honey-drizzled delight was delicious in its simplicity and almost brought baklava to mind as far as taste and texture were concerned.
















What could be better than enjoying a delicious, relaxing meal in an attractive venue with three margaritas apiece and being presented with a final bill of...wait for it...$42 for two before gratuity?   Los Mexicanos indubitably imparts one of the biggest bangs for the buck to be found on the Pinellas beaches.

http://losmexicanosrestaurant.com/

Los Mexicanos on Urbanspoon

My blog entries contain the unmitigated, and sometimes unforgiving, dining truths and perceptions I experience as an ordinary restaurant patron. Every meal I post about has been fully paid for by one of the participating members of my personal dining party. I do not engage in the gratis blogger freebie dining events I'm constantly invited to attend and never will. If I ooze font-like love for a restaurant in my blog, it's because they totally earned it…not because they gave me free food or knew I was going to share the experience on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment